Wednesday 29 April 2015

Race Report - Barcelona 24hr December 2014

Having qualified for the GB 24hr team for the World Championships in Taiwan December 2014, and then hearing it was cancelled, we all had to resubmit our personal bests and Race CV’s for the Worlds confirmed as Turin Italy, April 2015.
In the meantime there had been some incredible running going on, and I mean REALLY incredible.  In September I went to Tooting to crew for Fionna Ross in a 24hr race, it was there we were spoilt for choice in terms of inspiration.  Fionna won with 233k, Isobel Wykes came 2nd with 230k, and Noanie Heffron 3rd with 213k.

Fionna already on team GB was incredible to watch, she put a staggering 17k onto her personal best, Isobel and Noanie in their first official 24hr race were equally impressive, and as I passed Noanie a custard pot in the final few hours, I was cheering them on to surpass the qualifying standard and also my own personal best.

Tooting Race Report

http://run.runandbecome.com/london-running-news/self-transcendence-24-hour-race-2014/
The results fantastic for them, sealed the deal, I had to race another 24hr if I was to be back on the team.  Barcelona December 20/21 was going to be again my qualifying race.

Barcelona

Being so late in December meant school holidays; I had a support crew of my daughter Jordan, Steve, and then Fionna told me she was coming, I couldn’t have been happier.
Crew is so important, last year I had Sharon Law and Angela Rigby, who literally dragged me round, so once again crew wise I was onto a winner.
Barcelona is a track race out in lane 6/7, I had been getting some tips from the others, and found they took their lap splits which enabled them to manage pace, I was definitely going to do the same.
I had recovered well from the T184, 2 weeks as always of no running, my biggest problem I would say were the quads, and an annoying swollen ankle, RICE therapy (rest, ice, compression, elevation) and pranic healing (energy healing) and I was soon knocking out gentle miles again on the flat.

foot

This is what happens when you prod a swollen foot.
After T184 I had been in touch with the Race Director Shane Benzie at Running Reborn  http://www.runningreborn.co.uk/ he had approached me to see if I would be interested in providing some data for his research on running efficiency; anything like that I find really interesting so jumped at the chance.

rrWe went to Kent University and I was videoed on the track, turns out my running style is appalling, and he questioned how on earth I managed to make it round T184 without totally trashing my quads, I could have cried, but I did trash them!!!!  To find out I could reduce the impact they were taking, was fantastic!

sb

Then onto the treadmill and some lactic acid and vo2 max tests, it was a great experience, and looking forward to going back.

photo(2)photo(1)

I now had some technique changes to make, posture, cadence, heel strike, arms that pretty much did nothing, looking at a still shot of my foot fall was painful, a heel strike is not great, but a heel strike on a straight leg is disastrous over 24hrs.  My quads were going to finally get some relief, careful not to change too much too soon, especially 10 weeks before Barcelona; I was practising the new style and feeling the benefits quickly.
So, 10 weeks to go till Barcelona I had a few long runs to fit in, I work at an airport, so was fortunate to have the runway and apron as my playground for the night, Steve came along and got some crew practise in, and I ran through, wearing the tracking system and monitor to see how I was progressing.
Everything was going well, I wasn’t picking up any new injuries with the changes made, the heel strike was gone, my arms a million times better, and I was feeling pretty good.
The target was 225k, the plan had been sent to my crew for their input, it was now printed and laminated and I was all set.  With the time I’d had, I couldn’t have been more prepared for this one.
Pranic Healing helps me a lot, I meditate; it’s taught me focus, positivity, and belief in myself. I didn’t always have this, and still have to work hard at it, but I don’t fear failure like I used to, every race is a lesson to help you move forward, how can you fail when you are always learning, no one knows what they are capable of, so just keep going.
http://www.ukpranichealing.co.uk/index.html

Fast track to the start line, I had picked up one of the flu bugs everyone seemed to have at work just before I left, I’d had a lot of help clearing it, but the body just didn’t have enough time to fully recover, I was coughing like a trooper, but I’ve started a race in worse condition.

10402942_10153018866098854_1015263389576245361_n DSC02535

I did take my lap splits, and found it really comforting seeing a consistent pace, it was probably consistently quicker than I had planned, but only slightly and I felt comfortable.
I was running through a technique check list in my head, and even had a metronome to help with cadence; unfortunately I didn’t do the smart thing and change the battery first, lesson learned.
The hours were ticking by, Jordan, Steve, and Fionna were brilliant, every lap they were on the case passing drinks, food, asking if I needed anything, I had some great notes giving  updates on distance and how I was doing against the plan, they could not have done more, I cannot thank them enough for their hard work and support, a total commitment to the cause, they were unbelievable.

10360548_10152495670536087_56766239497239791_n

I ran to each hour, that’s all I was focused on, eat, drink, technique, focus, that’s it. Every hour was the same, check lap splits, and keep positive.  It was great to have support on and off the track, I met Natasha for the first time from team Buff, she was running relaxed and strong, and enjoying the race.

DSC02542
The temperature was a lot warmer than I thought it would be, and I remained in a vest the entire time, just adding some sleeves during the night.  It got dark around 17:00 but I actually quite like that. I do a lot of my training at night, in fact I do a lot of my training on a treadmill at night, poor old Jordan she falls asleep to the sound of a treadmill, although she says its quite comforting , ‘comforting’  OR  she knows where I am and can’t catch her out staying up late.
The difference between the last 24hr race and this one was massive, my legs felt so much better, my head was up, I was running stronger, I definitely felt more in control, I was trying my hardest to stick to everything I had been practising, technique and mind-set, those 2 things were giving me the confidence I needed to believe I could achieve the goal.
I was ahead of plan slightly but not by an alarming amount, I was the leading female coming towards the 12hr mark, things now get a bit more serious, I was still on plan, and conscious I had to keep what I was doing going, Fionna was now my crew as Jordan needed some rest, but in 7hrs she’d be back fresh with energy and giving me everything I would need to finish and hit my target.
I am so thankful to have help from Les Flitcroft and with Angela also giving me an energy boost every 4hrs, I just needed to keep the head clear, stay positive, and not let anything distract me.
What was beginning to become a very annoying distraction was a pain in my stomach, could be dehydration, could be the flu bug, could be anything, but I couldn’t ignore the pain for much longer, and was having to stop way more than I wanted to see if that would help. In this state eating becomes an issue, I was trying not to get frustrated and feel the race was coming apart, I saw through the next 3 hours stop starting, and fighting that feeling of this is now falling apart.

15502_10153018872748854_2310646800026424655_n

17hrs in, I was reassessing my target, something I promised I wouldn’t do, I wanted to believe I could make it to the very end, no matter what tough patch I went through. I could kick myself now, for  if I knew then what I know now I would have clung onto that goal till the bitter end.  Another lesson.
Sometimes you cannot achieve your goal, injury, illness, genuine reasons, but don’t miss it because you simply gave up on it, at least try your very hardest to the very end.    If I’m being honest, I gave up on the 225k, my laps had gone from 2:30mins to 5:00mins, I was in agony, my stomach felt like it was in pieces, I had an itband issues,  it just felt like I had nothing, looking back though I let them get to me, and they became worse for it.
This is really not the time to think I went off to fast, I’ve made mistakes, I’ve blown this, and with 3 hours to go, and Natasha catching me up fast, I saw Jordan return, I made Steve get a message to Les that I was struggling, and I kicked myself into gear.
In three hours this pain would stop, and in my head three hours, is actually two and a bit, okay that’s better, I had a hit of adrenalin, and sped up for a few laps,  I can do this, I made it round to the two hour mark, I just needed to rise above the pain, I hadn’t done all of this to lose it in the last few hours, I just had to want it enough.  Fionna, was giving me updates on distance, I was getting information on what I needed to do to stay ahead of the qualifying mark and keep my lead, it was going to be close, another surge of adrenalin, I knew I was getting closer, I ran purely towards hour 23, after that anything could happen and I was confident I could deal with it.  Natasha was so good, so strong, and still relaxed, it was going to be close, I was now over the new qualifying mark,  Natasha would be too, this was going to be a fantastic race for us both.
I made Fionna literally tell me how long was left every time I saw her, my watch was off, I was  running as hard as I could, Natasha would not catch me now, I knew I had the distance I needed to submit, I’d definitely got a personal best, and it was all now about holding it together and giving everything I had in the last remaining minutes,  10mins, 5mins, I was ‘flying’, I genuinely thought I was sprinting,  the siren went, I stopped…..hold on why are they still running, aargh bet that was 1 min to go, I had to get going again, I gave it all I could, siren again, and immediate face plant.
I had Jordan hugging me within minutes.

altAuBgBXa-icbo89Lbl799iZONISIh6O0Ru3EfGZGO6oGA

I finished with 221k, with lots of areas to still work on, and one unbelievably proud daughter, a fantastic support crew I couldn’t stop thanking, and for the first time I did the smart thing, and had some electrolytes as soon as they were handed to me. I felt all in all pretty good!!
There are lots of people to thank for all their hard work and support, I genuinely could not have done this without my brilliant crew, Jordan, Fionna, and Steve,  Shane Benzie at Running Reborn; who’s technique changes have totally changed the way I think about body movement, Les Flitcroft and Angela Rigby at ukpranichealing.  Thank you!
I now have to wait and see if I did enough for team GB, I’d love to be back out with the team, such an honour running in a GB vest, and part of something very special.

988966_841950559203052_5693272899747990718_n

No comments:

Post a Comment